Tuesday, April 20, 2010

National Volunteer Week

I was honoured to be asked to speak of my journey at the Family and Children's Services Volunteer Recognition Dinner. As (surprisingly) nervous as I was when I first got on stage, it went very well. This is what I had to say, in both video and written format:


I’m currently reading a book by Neale Donald Walsch called Home With God. It describes life like walking through a forest with many paths to choose from. The paths are neither right nor wrong because you’ll always end up at the same place, but some are more arduous than others. So I looked up the word “arduous” – and I can explain that on some paths you will find it more difficult to achieve what you want to achieve.

I consider my purpose in life to make a positive impact on the lives of children.

My career path hasn’t made that difficult but it also hasn’t supported my purpose. I spent 20 years as a secretary – when we still called ourselves secretaries. I don’t know when that became politically incorrect – and gradually became a corporate trainer which has nothing whatsoever to do with kids.

Along that path, I did have the opportunity to raise a son of my own which, of course, was very satisfying. By the time he turned 18, although he still needed me I was already missing having a child in my life.

As someone who regularly volunteers, that was a familiar tree for me to head towards.

I used the services of the Volunteer Action Centre and for 6 years I’ve been spending time with special children in the community through Family and Children’s Services. Emails from Carrie Landry always get me excited to see what opportunities are available.

For a year I was matched with an 8 year old girl who loved playing on the computer at the library.

When that family met their goals, I was matched with a 6 year old boy who was obSESSED with fishing, driving, and being a police officer. Not beCOMing a police officer, but BEing a police officer.

During the time I was matched with a family, I helped the 15 year old daughter get her first job.

I have helped with a scrapbooking club, and a reading club. When I had time off during the work week I went to the office to count flyers and stuff envelopes.

I took a sweet 10 year old girl to a woodworking workshop and she was so shocked to learn that all 8 other kids in the room were also in foster care. She thought she was alone.

I have spent the past year with a darling girl who’s 7 now, getting her to or from dance classes and helping her improve her reading and counting skills. She makes an adorable little clown so watch for us making balloon hats at Family and Children’s Services events.

I’ve been enjoying this path through the forest where I can give love to children and make them feel valued.

Every once in awhile though, it’s been like there’s a gibbon ape – because my last name is Gibbons – up in the tree throwing coconuts at me, trying to get me on a different path.

My son has been on his own for 4 years – so I have an empty house – and there is apparently a long waiting list for grandchildren. BONK!

My sister was fostering 3 of her grandchildren – so there is a need within my own family. BONK!

The 7 year old girl I’m so attached to may require foster care. BONK! BONK!

And those ADS, rePEATing and rePEATing on the radio! BONK! So that ape directed me – to where I always knew the path would lead me someday – and I am becoming a Foster Parent.

People often commend me for doing so much for others – and show appreciation with events like this – and that’s very nice but not necessary because really, I do it for me.

I’m at the place in the forest where I feel like I am the person I am here to be, so I appreciate Family and Children’s Services for providing that opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment