Sunday, January 31, 2010

Family Literacy Day

The Family Literacy Day event at the local mall was perfect for my 7 year old friend "A" (full name not used to respect confidentiality) who I am matched with through Family and Children's Services. During our weekly outings I've been focusing on helping her improve her reading and today's event included lots of related activities.

She received two Jazlyn J books and local author RennĂ¡ Bruce was there to sign them. I was not previously familiar with Jazlyn J books but they are well written and illustrated and are very educational.

Local children's entertainer Erick Traplin was there. Before his show, "A" talked with him and let him know that on Family Day we'll be clowning at the same event he'll be singing at. I bought Erick's Bubbles CD which I can play in the truck with "A" as well as for foster children in the future. During the show there was lots of clapping, jumping, and bum wiggling (some modifications required while seated in the truck). Erick includes kids in his show and "A" helped out as a drummer.

After working up an appetite we went to the Food Court to eat, read, and play games. "A" especially enjoyed Morris Goes to School, a favourite of my son's when he was small. I took that book along and, since Morris in the book is a moose, I also took the moose puppet my son played with along with the book. There's nothing like a stuffed moose puppet belted in the middle seat of the truck going to the mall.

My cousin Cheryl, an early literacy teacher, had recommended the game Bananagrams to play with "A". We played different games with the letter tiles. In grade two, "A" can spell quite a few short words and can provide words that begin with different letters, but I was stunned to discover that she doesn't actually know the alphabet! So we made it fun by teaching the alphabet to Morris the moose. He'll probably come along with us a lot in the future.

Our usual two hour outing had become five and I was completely exhausted but it wasn't easy to convince "A" that it was time to go. She was so completely happy her cheeks must be sore from smiling all day. It's great that she is having fun with learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment