Thursday, February 18, 2010

Family Day

The 3rd Monday of February has been designated as Family Day in Ontario since 2008. After spending the Sunday with my own family, consisting of my 24 year old son and his girlfriend, I spent the holiday Monday positively impacting the lives of children in my community.

My alter ego Mo the clown, and my junior assistant clown Fallzy, helped at a fundraiser for Family and Children's Services. Not only did we help raise money to assist children in the community, we brought joy to the children we interacted with at the event. At the same time "A" and I got to spend several hours together. She absolutely loves being a clown! She got to go on lots of rides, enjoy a hotdog, and dance along to the music of Erick Traplin. They seem to have become fast friends.

The day came with a few challenges. The first being that my GPS does not recognize the town of New Hamburg so I didn't find the location right away but I wasn't far off track.

Then, about an hour into the event, my balloon pump broke. If you've ever tried blowing up an animal balloon you'll understand why I rely on a pump. So instead of making balloon hats for the kids, we were supplied with a large amount of candy to give out. As "A" said, "It's very kind to give treats to the kids".

Another challenge was trying to help "A" come to terms with not winning the raffle prize she wanted so badly...a Hannah Montana poster.

Overall it was a very good day, living On Purpose in more ways than one.

No comments:

Post a Comment